Welcome to all!
Whether you are a first time reader or you look forward to our newsletter every week, we are SO happy you are here!
This week I wanted to share with you an easy and delicious take on Potato Salad! This is a perfect, clean side to bring to your Memorial Day cookouts (or any party for that matter— this one’s a keeper!!) I used white sweet potatoes as the base for my recipe; I wanted the challenge of doing something different and sweet potatoes are more nutrient dense than regular potatoes! Using the sweet potatoes also keeps this paleo! Well, modified paleo I suppose—the cavemen probably didn’t eat potato salad.
If you aren’t familiar with the Paleo style of eating, it is one that is vegetable and meat based; there are no grains, dairy (with the exception of butter or ghee—ask me about this here: email@example.com), legumes or refined sugars. So you focus a lot on dark greens, pastured or 100% grass-fed meats, high quality saturated fat, and some carbs like sweet potatoes! You are also allowed nuts and seeds (which is why I bake with almond flour and Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour a lot) and some unrefined sugars like raw honey, maple syrup, or coconut sugar.
Fruits are also allowed—basically anything that could be hunted or gathered!
Most, if not all of my recipes are based around this style of eating because I find it is what works best for my body. Please use the email above and let us know if there are other food lifestyle recipes you want me to try out, or if you are looking for substitutions in the ingredients provided!
I gotta say, I love Memorial Day. I love the gathering of people, loving on each other and soaking up the vitamin D and some good food. It is kind of like the unofficial start of Summer!!
PS, stay tuned for next week’s newsletter where I am going to share something totally different.
Love to all!
PALEO SWEET POTATO SALAD
The ingredients you can get at FGS will have an Asterix by them.
Let us know what you think!!
-4 White Sweet Potatoes (sometimes called Japanese—they should be light tan on the outside and white on the inside)
-3 Pastured Eggs*
-1 Small Yellow Onion*
-1/4 C Organic Parsley
-1 C Primal Kitchen Mayo (this one is sugar free and avocado oil based. PLEASE don’t use conventional mayo; too many yucko ingredients)
-About 10-12 Bubbies Bread and Butter Pickles
-1 hefty TBLS Mustard* (I used Sir Kensington’s Spicy Brown Mustard)
-1 TBLS Lemon Juice* (Ask if we have lemons! Usually we do!)
-1 TBLS Apple Cider Vinegar*
-2 TBLS Pickle Juice from Jar of Bubbies Bread and Butter Pickles*
-Himalayan Salt* to taste.
-1/2 TSP Garlic Powder
-Cheddar Cheese* (FGS has amazing Goat’s Milk Cheddar, and a Pastured Cow’s Milk!
- Chop sweet potatoes into bite size pieces. Fill a big pot about 3/4 the way with water and set to boil. Liberally salt water and add potatoes. Cook until tender. (About 15 mins— check at about 10 mins or so.)
- Use a small saucepan to boil eggs. Once the water has boiled, allow eggs to continue to sit for about 5 mins or just less than. Put in immediate ice bath to stop cooking.
- While eggs and potatoes are cooking, chop onion, parsley and pickles and add to bowl to begin making dressing.
- Add mayo, mustard, lemon juice, ACV, pickle juice, salt, garlic. Mix.
- Chop and add eggs once cooled.
- When potatoes are tender and drained, allow to cool for about 10-15 mins. Add to the dressing and eggs. Mix thoroughly and taste to see if it needs more salt.
- Put in fridge for several hours or preferably overnight. YUM. Serve cold.