Good morning beautiful people!
Not sure if you are a veggies-in-the-morning kinda person but even if you aren’t, I think you will love this recipe..
Did you know that red cabbage is a cruciferous veggie like broccoli or cauliflower? Or that cruciferous vegetables are ideal for hormone balancing?! I gotta tell ya, we can find all the medicine we need right here on this wonderful planet. All the more reason to nourish it, as it nourishes us!
The red cabbage in this recipe is the shining star, and it is absolutely delicious served cold or hot, though I preferred it the second day post overnight in the fridge. I added onions to it and made a dressing of parsley (I LOVE parsley— great for your breath, and for digestion), lemon, with a mayo base. This salad would be amazing on burgers (barbecue season is here!), by itself, or paired with some sweet potato. I had some with tuna burgers and it was amazing! And my three year old and I had the rest of it last night with a smoothieeeee. It’s easy, filling and delicious!
Recipe: Red Cabbage+Onion Salad
INGREDIENTS: (All ingredients that you can get at For Goodness Sake are starred!*)
-1/2 Medium Red Cabbage
-1/2 Medium Yellow Onion*
-2 TBLS Pastured Butter*
-Juice of 1 Lemon*
-1/2 C Parsley (Adjust to taste preference- I love parsley, so I went heavy on it)
-1/4 C Spicy Brown Mustard (I used Sir Kensington’s)
-1/3 C Mayo* (I used Primal Kitchen Avocado Mayo)
-1 tsp Coconut Sugar (optional; just used to round out flavors, honey would work well also)
-Salt*, Garlic Powder*, Onion Powder* to taste
- Heat pan over medium-high heat with butter while you chop vegetables.
- Chop cabbage finely. Dice onions super small.
- Once pan is thoroughly heated and butter is fully melted, pour veggies in. Salt to taste.
- Cook veggies on the heat for about 3-5 mins or until they begin to really sweat. During this time begin to chop your parsley, juice your lemon and assemble your dressing.
- When cabbage+onion has begun to sweat, reduce the heat to low-medium and allow to cook another 7 mins. If you like yours a little softer, cook longer. If you like more crunchy, take off the stove whenever you feel they are done to your liking.
- While they are continuing to cook, finish assembling dressing and blend it until smooth. Allow veggies to cool and mix the dressing in!
- Eat now, or allow to cool overnight in fridge (fully dressed) and eat the next day. Enjoy!
Let us know what you think in the comments below!
Blessings and be well!